Old
11-20-2012, 03:23 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I can only speak for myself here - I've always been a huge zombie buff. The Romero movies (Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead in particular), Danny Boyle's 28 Days Later, Zack Snyder's remake of Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland...love them all. Just the gratuitous gore that usually goes along with such movies and some of the dark comedy that's usually involved in them makes for great entertainment.

So there's that. But I also find the show gripping - it had a serious lull in Season 2, mind you, but Season 1 was great for the most part (especially the Pilot, which was spectacular), and Season 3 has been outstanding. In a way, it reminds me of 24 which really threw viewers for a loop with its "no one is safe" mentality. Even the most beloved of characters can be killed off, so in that way, the Walking Dead is always keeping you on your toes.

As for its mass appeal, I would guess that a large part of its viewing figures come from the fact that it was/is a wildly successful comic series. The comics are extremely entertaining (I own the first Compendium), and they have a similar theme in that no one is safe, but the comics pushed the envelope even moreso than the TV show has or can in terms of what sort of things are shown. Not just the guts and gore, either - there is a lot of grisly, dark underside of humanity shown in the comics, and I am curious to see if - and how much of it, if they do - it makes it to the show.
Hmm thanks. That definitely sounds interesting. I suppose this means I have to check out the pilot now and give it a shot.