View Single Post
Old
11-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Meh, I'm also convinced that there is a phenomenon whereby those players that you followed most avidly in your youth or early adulthood tend to be the players that you glorify in your memory anyway.

This can make comparisons based on individual memories suspect as well.

I'm sure there are people who saw Richard in his prime who think he's better than Bobby Orr.

As it is, there aren't too many people on this site who remember the 1950s very well so you've got this pedestal of "I remember so and so in their prime and you can't" that begins with the Orr era.

It doesn't really bother me all that much, to be honest, the Orr vs. Gretzky thing, because it's always difficult to compare players in two different positions.

A goalie plays 60 minutes a game so should they be more prominently exhibited in top 10 lists given their impact on a shift-to-shift basis? There's no real established science for this.

However, I don't necessarily think that, because someone was alive to see Orr and Gretzky, that their opinion somehow puts the argument to rest.
It helps if they've seen both though. If I talk with a group of old guys and they mention that there was nothing like the Rocket even if others had more points than him, i'll like listen. Establishing greatness is more than looking at a bunch of records.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote