View Single Post
Old
11-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Guffaw

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by panner20 View Post
My story was somewhat similar to yours. I was mostly a roller-hockey player growing up in NYC, but also played some ice (Pickup only) in my 20's when I moved to PA for school. I stopped playing altogether for 10 years (ages 26 to 36). At 5'8" I probably weighed about 30-40 lbs more (roughly 190 to about 230) when I made my comeback. Long story short, I'm 43 now and I've been playing like "a man possessed" for the last 6-7years. I play Men's League (Over-30 Division, which is between A and B skill wise) and I've even been recruited to play on a second Team in the A-Division this upcoming season. Since my comeback I have never gone more than 12 days in a row without playing for almost 7 years, I take a lot of pride in that streak!! I absolutely love that I got a second chance, and I have definitely made the most of the opportunity. I've won a couple of Men's League Championships & played in Tournaments from Florida up to Canada. I have met some of the coolest, greatest friends/teammates thru Hockey. I still have weight to lose, but I feel like I am in great hockey shape for my age. What I've lost in speed, skill & endurance... I more than makeup for in passion, wisdom & enthusiasm!! :-) I'm basically pretty bad now, but I'm a good team guy, and noboby has more fun than me out there (which can be contageous)... I think that's why I get asked to play on good teams. BEST OF LUCK to You! I think you'll do great. Sorry this post is so long, I just wanted you to know that it can be done! Keep us updated!
Just wanted to say your post is inspirational. I stopped at 22 after playing PA club college. Took 16 yrs off and have been back at it for the past year and a half( just turned 40). It has been painfull and frustrating for a lot of that time but well worth it. A ton of injuries including a sprained ACL and a broken right collarbone have delayed my progress but I'm in the gym and on the ice regularly trying to be the best I can. Good luck to the op and all the older guys getting back into it.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote