View Single Post
Old
11-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Grace Personified

vCash: 500
Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't think it would...Melanson didn't appear to be all that good of a goalie...except for on Long Island where he led the league in the save pct. once. I mean, look at what happened when he was back to being a tandem in LA (this time given the starting nod) - those two seasons the Kings finished 2nd worst and worst in goals against. His GAA in the playoffs with the Kings (also a small sample size, about as small as it is with the Isles) was 6.19! It was about half that with the Isles (3.24).

Hell, maybe Resch wasn't even that good. I don't have the spreadsheet up and handy but using H-R. Resch played on the Isles from 1975-1981, in that time frame, he finished top-5 in goals against average for five straight years, followed by a 9th place and a 7th place the year he got traded late to Colorado (would have been another top-5 if he had just stayed put on the Island). Additionally, Resch played from 1982-1987. He never again finished top-10 in GAA. In fact, quite the opposite, he was top-5 in pure goals against for the next four seasons after leaving the Islanders.

Though I do think Resch was a quality netminder because he played on some pretty iffy Devils teams and got some traction with them.

Why are non-dynasty years not included for Resch? Seems like he did a fair job, Smith was on those teams too.

It just seems to me that Melanson and Resch had the time of their respective lives under Arbour...they moved on and didn't do nearly as well. We'll never know with Smith because he doesn't really play anywhere else (minus a few minutes with the Kings as a rookie). If Resch isn't traded is it him that's up for vote right now?

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote