View Single Post
Old
11-20-2012, 08:22 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
The problem is that we arent really as "stacked" on D as much as a prospect-centric message board might think. We've got a lot of depth a D and some really high end talent on the roster. OEL and Yandle are budding stars while Michalek, Klesla, and Morris are rocks on D. Schlemko, Stone, and Summers are all poised to be solid NHL defensemen, as well, but their upside remains to be seen. Guys like Gormley, Rundblad, and Murphy don't really factor into the equation, though. We are a team that has learned the hard way not to count our chickens before they've hatched. Wheeler, Mueller, and Turris are bitter tastes not soon forgotten.

As far as center is concerned, we aren't in a position to trade for a first line center. There are none available and certainly not at prices we can afford to pay (in terms of both assets and dollars). We've got a couple of great two-way centers, signed to longer term deals in Vermette and Hanzal. Gordon is an elite PK center who anchors a 4th line as well as anyone in the league. Yes we need another center. Yes , in a perfect world, it would be ideal if he were a legit number one. This isn't a perfect world.

I'd much rather hang onto a top asset like Keith Yandle, and sacrifice a much lesser asset to acquire a center that might not be a marquee player but could be a decent fit. Maybe a Tim Connolly or Matthew Lombardi type. Someone like that, who could potentially be a good fit for Tippett, but won't cost us one of our only elite level talents in Yandle.

What makes more sense for a team trying to win playoff rounds; Yandle for center prospects and picks or futures for a journeyman center?
I get what you are saying, but I suppose I have a little more faith in the prospects than you do. Definitely a riskier approach, but also one that could return the biggest reward.

I've liked Gormley for a long time. Thought there was a good chance the Isles would take him in 2010 so I followed him closely at the draft, and have continued to follow him for no other reason than me being intrigued to see how the guy I wanted is turning out. I can probably count the number of defense prospects who I think are basically guarantees to become top-4 NHL defenders on one hand. He is definitely one of them. Now, if you don't share that sentiment then I understand your hesitancy to deal Yandle.

That said, I agree that this isn't something that Phoenix needs to rush. Yandle is signed for a long time, and is just entering his prime so if anything his value should continue to rise. The only question is what packages will be available in the future if that's what they decide to do, because while they might end up being better, they could also end up being nowhere near as good.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote