View Single Post
Old
11-20-2012, 09:25 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
I just think Stastny was just that little bit better, second to the Great One in points in the 80's and even as an Oilers fan, I'm just not that high on Messier he just doesn't do it for me. Until the Lemieux burst onto the scene I think Stastny was the most dominant non oilers in the league for a period. I understand some people placing him lower on their lists, or not at all I just think that's where he ranks.
I just don't think Stastny did much to distinguish himself from Denis Savard and Dale Hawerchuk. I think he was probably slightly better than them, but not much. Hawerchuk by the way is 2nd to Gretzky for the 10 year period from 1981-82 to 1990-91, but that period doesn't line up neatly with the 1980s. Hawerchuk is also 3rd behind Gretzky and Lemieux for 1982-83 to 1991-92.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Playing for most of his career for the mighty Edmonton Oilers. That cannot be discounted. Stastny for quite a while always ended in the NHL top three scorers in the 80s with Coffey and Gretzky while playing with the average Quebec Nordiques. Put him with the Oilers and it would be a whole other ball game. Not to mention he was in the Czech Republic for a part of his career.
Stastny was a top 3 scorer twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSlater View Post
It's possible that Stastny's production would have decreased in Edmonton with Gretzky understandably getting the optimal minutes. I agree that Stastny deserves consideration for his time in Czechoslovakia since he was one of the best players over there for a time.
Stastny won the Golden Hockey Stick for best player in Czechoslovakia in his final season there. But he wasn't close to winning it in any season prior.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote