View Single Post
Old
11-20-2012, 10:39 PM
newfy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Drew is reportedly looking for 3 years/$30 mil. That's ridiculous IMO.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...drewst01.shtml

I'm not sure Drew is an upgrade over Peralta in any way. He's got a reputation as a good defender but the numbers say he's below average. He's got a reputation as a good hitter but he hasn't hit much lately, his good years aren't as good as Peralta's good years, and his bad years are worse than Peralta's bad years. And Drew is one year younger than Peralta, so it's not like they'd be going young.

Why not spend that extra $4 mil on some better bench players and then figure out 2014 and 2015 later, as opposed to throwing a huge deal at Drew when he hasn't proven he can hit or field post-injury?

I'm not a big Peralta fan, but this sounds like a terrible deal. Unless they get something really good from the DBacks for Peralta, but what are the odds of that? More likely they'll get a mediocre utility player or a fringe bullpen/AAAA guy. Whoopdeedoo.

Plus, I have to say that from what we saw in the ALCS, Stephen Drew is a whiny little *****. Complains about every single called strike, like Youkilis. Bugs the hell out of me.
If you can sign Drew to a reasonable deal though, and use Peralta as part of a package for Upton is the upgrade in left field worth the slight reduction behind the plate in the short stop position?

Peraltas trade value is probably higher than you think as well after a good run to the world series and reasonable contract.