View Single Post
Old
11-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Kriss E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Your point has been that the players have no legitimacy to complain because they are well-off. You are the one who brought up water quality in the third world and the plight of the Palestinians as contrasts to the players.

In general a lot of people feel that the owners should get more money on the basis that players are overpaid. It's part of the legacy of 50 years of pro-corporate propaganda. The same is true of auto companies: more people are bothered by the high wages of auto-assembly workers than by the bonuses of the chief executives.
Actually, I said didn't say they didn't have a right to complain, I said it's not worth losing a season over. Anybody can complain as much as they want, do I agree with it? No, but that doesn't mean I don't think they have a right to complain.

I don't care whether or not the players are overpaid, I said losing a full season ends up being the same, if not worse, than if they accepted a 12% rollback.

Quote:
That's what unions across North America believed at various times, most of whom have now ended up with nothing and their former members are ruined. Have you not heard about Hostess? The workers' pensions might be getting taken away.
Yes, I'm sure the NHLPA will end up with nothing and its members, ruined.
Quote:
You are a Pollyanna -- you believe that "everything is going to be fine, it always is", the truth is things don't always end up fine. Most people don't subscribe to that rose-colored view, with good reason.

If you want to end up with a piece of pie, you need to fight. If the union doesn't fight, they would have lost 25% this time (the NHL's first offer), they would lose 25% in the next lockout in 5 years, 30% or 40% in the lockout five years after that, and eventually lose all their rights such as pensions, health insurance, and guarantees to still get paid even if they suffer an injury on the ice.
Yes, in 10years from now, they will have lost up to 90% of their potential earnings. Sure buddy..

They will lose pensions, health insurance and guaranteed pay during injury. Matter of fact, by the time they retire, it is them that will owe the NHL some money.