View Single Post
Old
11-21-2012, 07:39 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegutter View Post
anyone think aquino gets a look at from an ahl team at the end of this year? guy is playing very well in czech league. I remeber when he was tearing up junior.
Aquino? Czech league?

The former 5'10" 7th rounder Luciano Aquino is currently leading the EBEL (fun league with teams primarily from Austria, but also the Czech Republic, Slovenia, Croatia and Hungary) with 9-26-35 in 23 games. The scorer producing at the highest clip is Detroit prospect Jan Mursak with 31 points in 17 games.

All-in-all, the league itself is primarily at an ECHL level. Players such as Tony Romano and Justin Dibenedetto are playing pivotal scoring roles for their respective teams.

The league's second best scorer is Derek Ryan, a teammate of Michael Grabner. (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=77306)

In short, I'd have to say that you're never really going to see a player in his mid-late twenties go from a league like this to an NHL club unless he's already had an extensive prior period as a prospect (who i.e. may never have bloomed) or is perhaps a very young fella from a lesser-known area (Hungary, Austria, Croatia) who is already very prominent and has a certain skillset. Even those types come once in a blue moon.

I personally saw Aquino play for Ingolstadt in the German DEL last season and can say that I saw nothing indicating that he'd be worth looking at for an NHL job. He was middle of the road in a league that can largely be considered comparable to the AHL. Even an expansion team looking to catch lightning in a bottle would be able to choose from a good 150 some players in Europe in his shoes who'd have the same chances/abilities as he does.

What will be interesting, however, is to see the fallout from NHL players returning from Europe when the NHL starts up again. Surely some will be talking and the question "So, did you play with any guys who could seriously help out here?" will be asked many times. Chances are that a shot will be given to a handful of guys (likely between 24-30 years of age) based almost solely on these types of recommendations.

If I had to gander though, the Isles won't likely be one of those teams.