Thread: Proposal: Sj - nyi
View Single Post
Old
11-21-2012, 07:09 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Two very likeable Islanders. Grabner had a real sophomore slump, but still potted 20 goals along the way. He should be seen as a 'joker' of sorts, because his speed is simply untaught and he always manages to get his 25+ breakaways a year. Realistically, he should settle in as a PKing 3rd liner with regular 25-15-40 capability.

Nielsen is very underrated and as good a 3rd line all-round center as you will find in the NHL, without the size. Thing is, he's the 2nd line center on the Isles. Put him on a good team and you're looking at a 10-20-30, +15 player who is gold in shootouts, decent on face-offs and even has some snarl when pushed around. He's also gotten gobs of PP time the past two seasons, so he can certainly play there as well.

If SJS can use these types of components, then I'd have to say that Garth Snow would have to consider the deal, especially in light of the forward prospects coming up in the system. The salary difference is a toss, but let there be no doubt that Nielsen is on a SWEETHEART deal. Grabner is earning what the 34 goal rookie season brought him. He was 'overpaid' in light of last season. Joe Pavelski is a multifaceted guy who could fit in nicely on an Islander team that could use him up the middle and on the wing (next to JT?). In addition, I'd have to think he'd bring in a bigger air of success than the Isles have seen in a while.

In any case, congrats to the OP! This deal certainly has its fantasy merits, even if fans of each team will show their usual attachments. I can see how both teams might consider a move of this nature, certainly in light of the expected oncoming decrease in the salary cap, whatever perceptive role it might play in whole.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote