View Single Post
Old
11-21-2012, 08:34 AM
The Flower
Feel Aflie's Wrath!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
You specifically said dominated. We were dominated in a single series of the four. Perpetuating the myth that we were dominated by an underdog Leafs team just continues the cycle of ignorance.

The original point is really irrelevant to whether you believe we were dominated or not. The original point is simply false by its own right; player x was on a team that lost, therefore player x must suck. Hossa doesn't suck, and if Zibby pans out to be another Hossa, it'll be a huge win for the organization.

It wasn't a smart strategy because of their goalies, it was a smart strategy because refs are less likely to call penalties in the playoffs than in the regular season. The playoff mentality is 'let the players play'.

Either way, I think it's too simplistic and vague to attribute those losses to 'they were smarter than us'.
Bud, we lost 4 straight playoff series to the Leafs. If that's not domination, I don't know what is? I wasn't breaking down each series individually. I was merely commenting on how our lack of playoff success against Toronto in the early 2000's caused many fans around here to lose faith in the leadership core. Rightly or wrongly, guys like Hossa, Yashin, Alfie, Redden, and even Jacques Martin were called into question.

Regarding your 2nd point, you're preaching to the choir here. I'm not sure how or where you picked up on me ripping on either Hossa or Zibby. I was actually arguing otherwise. I think Hossa is a stud and the raw skill set that Zibby possesses has me giddy with anticipation. Even as a teenager he owns a big league one timer and his size and skating ability make him an exciting prospect. With a little time, I fully expect him to put it all together and thrive in the NHL.

Lastly, concerning penalty calls in the playoffs, I agree with what you're saying here. For the most part, refs keep their whistles in their pockets during the playoffs, albeit mostly in the later rounds. So the Leafs strategy of getting an edge in the penalty call department was a well conceived plan. I was just adding that they had a good backup plan with both Cujo and the Eagle standing on their heads, in the event that the calls didn't go their way.