View Single Post
Old
11-21-2012, 11:26 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
You remember differently than I do. He played 79 games in 2010-11 when he scored those 85 points (32 goals). The year prior he scored 109 points in 72 games (and 50 goals). In 2008-09 he scored 110 in 79 games and 56 goals.

When talking about a particular player and whether they're in or out of their prime it doesn't matter one iota how they stack up against other players, unless a point about overall league scoring is trying to be made. The fact of the matter is that the guy once universally recognized as the #1 or #2 offensively dangerous player dropped production by 24 points from one season to the next (with massive drop in goal-scoring to boot).

Most rational people aren't saying he's a bad player now, and personally I'm going to give him a chance to redeem himself and get back to being a 40+ goal 90+ point player. However, recognizing when most players have their peak scoring years and noting that for this particular player that was a few years ago and furthermore since that time his production has dropped substantially...I feel comfortable saying that he is past his prime.
He obviously hasn't been as good this year, but look at the teams GPG numbers in 2010-2011, specifically before and after they had an 8 game losing streak where they switched to an all out defensive system. The team went from something like 3.5 goals per game and Ovechkin on a 100 point pace to about 2.3 goals per game. I think you can imagine how that affected Ovechkin's points per game numbers.