Old
11-21-2012, 11:35 AM
Pheasant the peasant
Salary Kapanen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Komi is another year after this unfortunately

Liles I liked the signing at the time, but after this draft I'm not a big fan of the length anymore. Now I wish it was a 2 year extension. Not Liles fault or anyone's for that matter. We just happened to draft a guy who seems like he could be NHL ready now.
The contract length for Liles is perfect.

He is about to turn 32, and has three years after this lockedout-shortened (eliminated?) season. That menas he will only be 35 when the contract expires, and his time here will be in the perfect middle ground where he will be old enough to bring veteran experience with leadership/mentor abilities, but young enough to still be productive and reliable.

Not to mention that if Rielly is with the team next season, his rookie contract will be the exact same length as Liles contract. 3 years (the new CBA rules about rookie contracts shouldn't change this, since it is already signed). So we can easily afford to pay Liles while saving money on Rielly, and give Reilly his payday when Liles' contract expires.

Liles is a steal at only 3.8-ish. And he can easily be moved if there is legitemately no room for him.