View Single Post
Old
11-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Fulcrum

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
My opinion about Varnakov was low at first, but after all is said and done, I thought I detected a huge improvement in the defense in the SSS. I really liked Bragin as well - his team in 2011 made these huge, almost miraculous comebacks, because they never quit. The Gold Medal game against Canada in Buffalo was insane! However, if he had a weakness, it might have been the defensive side of the game. In Calgary, the team had a huge problem getting pinned inside the defensive zone. They gave up an average of 52 shots on goal from the Czechs, Canadians and Swedes. It caused them to have to go to OT to beat a less than great Czech team, and they squandered a 6-1 lead to 6-5 in less than 5 minutes against the Canadians. It was the only reason, IMO, that such an offensively talented team didn't win Gold. If they play really good defense in Ufa, I think there is enough offensive talent to win.
I agree with you, tactically speaking Bragin's hockey was poorer defensively, but looked very good offensively at times with rather evolved combination hockey.

And yes, towards the end of SSS, you could see the picture of Varnakov's team. However, I'm not prepared to say that Varnakov's strategy is proven until we see it work consistently. This has not happened yet.

When his strategy works - it's great.

When it fails, it ugly hockey to watch. Trap, no creativity and losing looks pretty bad.

Last edited by Fulcrum: 11-21-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote