View Single Post
Old
11-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post
There's percentages right in the proposal. Why ignore one number and not the other?

If it's worth anything at all, I agree with you. Using hard dollars in the negotiating process is double-stupid and doesn't work at all.
Personally I only pay attention to one because one number is a projection and one is not. 1.75% increases on top of 1.88 billion is the actual, a 5% annual increase in revenue is not. The fact that the league is being nearly completely supported by only a couple of Canadian teams scares me more then just a little. You look at all other major sports and you quickly see they have significantly more individual teams turning a profit. NFL and MLB have 25+ teams turning profits each year, most of them significant profits. The NBA has less teams turning a profit (10-15 teams lose money each year) but still (A) have more teams turning a profit then the NHL and (B) have more of the teams who turn a profit make real money. And still, look at the **** show that was the NBA lockout last season and the concessions players had to make there.

I honestly could care less who comes out on top, the owners or the players. Millionaires and Billionaires fighting over our money doesn't lend itself to earning my loyalty one way or the other. In order for the NHL to succeed and hopefully grow however, it needs to be profitable (other words the owners need to make money). In order for it to be as exciting as possible in my mind it needs to be competitive, and in order to be competitive there needs to be parity. All teams need to be able to realistically spend to the cap without reporting a loss. I support the owners because it just so happens that them looking out for their own interests will as a by product achieve each of these things. The NHLPA looking out for their own interests won't. They don't care if Nashville can turn a profit. They don't care if ticket prices for the fans need to increase to support their salaries. They want to maximize their earning ability (as most people do) and in doing so, at least imo, run the risk of hurting the entire league. I don't begrudge them for it, but I don't agree with it at all either.