Thread: Confirmed with Link: Matt Duchene's lockout adventure in Europe
View Single Post
Old
11-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 500
Apparently Duchene has changed, from what he says here it seems like he's still got that competitive edge to him.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2012...ammates/11913/

Quote:
Kind of an explosive story out of Sweden involving Avalanche refugee Matt Duchene. Sounds like the honeymoon has definitely worn off for the youngster on his team, Frolunda. After a 2-0 loss to Modo – Peter Forsberg’s old team – last night, Duchene let loose with some verbal fusillades against his team’s effort. While he did not single anybody out by name, Duchene out and out criticized the effort of some.
I have gotten a Google translation of his quotes from a story in the Swedish paper Aftonbladet. I have also gotten further verification of the quotes from journalists in Europe.

Here is some of what was reported to be what he said:
“Joel Lundqvist is a perfect example. He always works his ass off. Everyone should do that. But I’m not so sure everyone gets that. We just can´t play this bad. It is so poor. We were getting booed by our own fans, it’s unacceptable. They pay a lot of money to watch us and it’s not fair of us to play so bad,” said Duchene to hockeysverige.se.

“If this was in the NHL, five players would be sent down to the minors after a game like this. But here, players are too comfortable. There are 33 million Canadians that would sacrifice an arm to play hockey at this level.”

“We play good against the top teams, like HV71. This Monday we had a good practice. But on the morning skate before the game it wasn’t good. The guys weren’t ready. The intensity was missing. But this is your job. You have to work your ass off every day. You have to empty the tank. This is not a “Social hour”. You can’t just put your skates on and skate around. Everyone could have a bad game, but when you don’t prepare yourself for a game, when you don’t give it your very best…. If we play like this against a top team like Skellefte? we would be down 5-0 after the first period.”

At the end, the coach of the Frolunda, Kent Johansson, commented on Duchene´s quotes: “The biggest problem is that not everyone is contributing. Duchene didn’t do that either. You have to do your own job well before you criticize others. On the other hand, it’s good that we show that we don’t accept this performance,” he said to Swedish media.

Good times, sounds like.

Hat tip to Eurolanche.com chief David Puchovsky for referring me to this kerfuffle.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote