View Single Post
Old
11-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Whileee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
AFIAC Whileee you're never an intrusion here.

However (I just posted this thought on BOH) I don't think Skeete is losing his nerve as much as he can't predict where the city's finances will actually be when the sales tax increase ends five years down the road and here he's negotiating a long term obligation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Yeah, I don't think anyone here is adverse to folks who think that the Coyotes relocating is a smart move for a struggling league or folks who thing Glendale is making a poor decision with the AMF. It's the drive-by posters who feel the need to tell us that we don't "deserve" an NHL team or that this area is a horrible market with no upside. Those are the intruders.
Thanks.

My two cents, for what it's worth... I think that the NHL could have made this deal work long ago, and I would have been happy for the City of Glendale and the Coyotes fans. The NHL is the main beneficiary of the COG's decision to back them in the bankruptcy, thereby helping Bettman fend off Balsillie. Subsequently, they've pledged $50 million, along with very generous lease offers. This allowed the NHL to keep the team in the Phoenix market and deal with the Atlanta fiasco via a Winnipeg relocation. But now the COG is up against severe financial constraints and an adverse political and legal climate. If the NHL slashed the selling price to close to market value (say $100 million) they could allow Jamison to give back a big chunk on the lease, and this deal would have been done long ago.

I have to say that I'm a bit surprised that most Coyotes fans and the COG don't seem to be willing to take Bettman and the NHL to task on this.

Finally, my comments are generally focused on what I think will happen, not what I hope will happen. So, for example, I thought that the Hulsizer lease was a "fail" from the start. I thought that the Jamison lease would have had a very good chance of sailing through (perhaps with a few tweaks) 12 months ago and said so at the time, but Jamison and the NHL lost that window of opportunity by late Spring when the budget crisis became apparent in Glendale, and then the elections took hold. Now, I think it faces a real uphill struggle because there are so many options to delay or defeat it. I believe that it is now critical for the NHL and Jamison to make a grand gesture to show their gratitude to Glendale, and push a compromise deal through.