View Single Post
Old
11-21-2012, 10:39 PM
kihei

vCash: 0

Silver Linings Playbook (2012), directed by David O. Russell: Pat is seriously bi-polar and has just emerged from a mental institution after his break up with his wife. If he is okay, it's sure hard to tell, especially as he doesn't believe he needs to take his meds. He meets Tiffany, a recent widow, who is almost as screwed up as he is and he, perhaps unwisely, enlists her help in his attempt to get back with his wife. I hated Russell's last film, The Fighter, which I found, loud, screechy and over the top. But Silver Linings Playbook, though it contains a fair amount of screech, is definitely a charmer. It is not for nothing that it won the People's Choice Award at TIFF. It starts like a drama but eventually segues into more of a romantic comedy. It also gets more contrived as it goes along, but that doesn't matter as much as one might think. Why? Because by that time, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence already had me so invested in their characters that I was ready to just go along for the ride and not ask too many questions. Both are so totally committed to their characters that they compelled my attention. DeNiro and Jacki Weaver are very good as well. But Cooper and Lawrence really are the movie.