View Single Post
Old
11-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Hockey Outsider

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Alfredsson would go in my HOF but he's not a HOFer.

His career's been overstated because he played in a Canadian market leading to him being more of a star than he is, he was involved in a tonne of games against the Leafs as well (where he played well). If Alfie played most of his career in SJ for example then would we be having this discussion? He's a slight tier above a Patrick Marleau or Milan Hejduk, fantastic hockey players but they'll never be in the HOF. Maybe it's because they played their peaks in dead puck eras and not their fault but too many 90s stars that stick out for them to get in.
I think that's selling Alfredsson short. I'm not completely sold on him being a HOFer, but it's tough to ignore someone who's #3 in scoring over an entire decade.

Alfredsson (like Sundin and Gartner, though not to the same extent) was able to score at a high level very consistently - he has as many 70 point seasons as Hejduk and Marleau do combined. Also true for 60 point seasons.

Alfredsson had the best offensive peak (statistically he has three of the five best seasons between these three players - it's worth mentioning that he required stellar linemates to maximize his production, but one can certainly say the same about Hejduk (playing 20 minutes per game with peak Forsberg in 2003). He was clearly a better defensive player than Hejduk, and was also superior to Marleau. None of these three were great playoff performers, but Alfredsson averaged more goals, assists and (obviously) points per game than the other two.

I don't think that finishing 3rd in scoring over the course of the decade should automatically equate to induction - though Alfredsson certainly helps his case by combining that with good two-way play, a decent (though not great) playoff resume and he'll get some credit for being the cornerstone of the Senators. Out of curiosity, have any players who finished third (or higher) in scoring for an entire decade not earned a spot in the Hall?

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote