View Single Post
Old
11-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Stu Macher

vCash: 500
I saw three movies at the theater today.

Life of Pi

A magnificent example of visual storytelling. I hadn't read the book, and thought the story started off a bit sluggish. But from the moment he was on the lifeboat, I was fully into it. If there was one movie that I would definitely like to see a full "Making Of" DVD special feature, it would be this one. I have no idea how Ang Lee did the things he did. A very unique cinematic vision.

Silver Linings Playbook

There is really no reason I should love this movie as much as I do. It seems like it should just be another romantic dramedy, but I guess the difference here is that it is written and directed by David O. Russell, who is always a wild card. He brings the frantic energy he brought to Three Kings (which I've said many times is one of my all time favorite films), and transforms what should be familiar into something that always seems fresh and vital. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are both fantastic, and have terrific chemistry, and how great was it to see DeNiro be good in a good movie again? All of those schlocky rom-com's end with some even that has me asking "Why should I care?". Silver Linings Playbook had me so invested, I couldn't wait to see what happened, and can't remember wanting two people to get together more in recent memory. This is one of my very favorite movies of the year, just a fully pleasurable experience.

Lincoln

All the fun of a history textbook come to life! I think it had a pulse, which is more than you could say about most of Spielberg's films in the past decade. I don't think he was just going through the motions, but I still felt the film was so stiff and dull that I couldn't imagine the idea of seeing it again. Some fine performances can't save this, although Tommy Lee Jones does add some life whenever he's on the screen.