View Single Post
Old
11-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
I'll reserve judgement until the NHL responds to that offer. I feel the players overreacted to the owners reaction to their proposal.
It's possible.

TSN shared the players union memo:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=409992

...really to me, it doesn't seem all that unreasonable. The method of holding the players at gunpoint has to come to an end - in any negotiation, in any facet of life, the theory of "agree to our terms or nothing at all" doesn't typically work. It's for this reason that I'm definitely against the owners - maybe not for the players - but I will not side with the owners on this. The fact that they proposed something a month ago that the players union is now pretty much ready to agree to, but have removed it from the table, effectively punishing them for prolonging it, is downright petty and childish.

For this method of negotiating, I think Gary Bettman has to be on the chopping block. Three lockouts in the last 17 years is preposterous, and holding the league hostage to get what a handful of the owners are pressing for is killing the sport. The league is not only pushing away the casual fans anymore, it's alienating the hardcore, die-hard fans. For the first time in my life, I'm embarrassed to talk about the NHL, and I truly fear for the future of the game that we love.

I'd post what I said to the folks at CBC about Gary Bettman, but I'd probably get banned from the boards for doing so