Old
11-22-2012, 06:15 AM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhart View Post
This may be a stupid question...

Why did Hockey Canada bother to have Wotherspoon in the SS? I mean, he was there for only one game, and I thought he was one of the better defencemen that night. I think he played a very solid game overall.

However, I think there is about a 0% chance he makes the cut. I realize there are a lot of players they wanted to see, but why invite someone who for all intents and purposes, not get an invite to camp? I am a Flames fan, and I do think Wotherspoon has some potential as a future NHL'er, but nobody here has slotted him into any lineups - and I have to agree with that. He isn't at that level.

So why 'waste' a spot for him in the SS? I was personally happy to see him there, and I think it was a great experience for him, but why would Hockey Canada include him in the SS? I can see why they had Drouin - though I don't he will end up making the final squad, he definitely is a player with a possibility.
Not a stupid question. My best guess is that they wanted to see what he can do against international talent. As you can see with Murray getting injured, anything can happen and spots can open up at anytime before the tourny so I think Canada wanted to cover all their bases and see who was playing well in the WHL and match them up against the russians. Nothing is set in stone and Hockey Canada owes it to all ofCanada to be as thorough as possible in the selection process. The SS was about playing the best of the WHL against the russians.