Old
11-22-2012, 07:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post

Silver Linings Playbook (2012), directed by David O. Russell: Pat is seriously bi-polar and has just emerged from a mental institution after his break up with his wife. If he is okay, it's sure hard to tell, especially as he doesn't believe he needs to take his meds. He meets Tiffany, a recent widow, who is almost as screwed up as he is and he, perhaps unwisely, enlists her help in his attempt to get back with his wife. I hated Russell's last film, The Fighter, which I found, loud, screechy and over the top. But Silver Linings Playbook, though it contains a fair amount of screech, is definitely a charmer. It is not for nothing that it won the People's Choice Award at TIFF. It starts like a drama but eventually segues into more of a romantic comedy. It also gets more contrived as it goes along, but that doesn't matter as much as one might think. Why? Because by that time, Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence already had me so invested in their characters that I was ready to just go along for the ride and not ask too many questions. Both are so totally committed to their characters that they compelled my attention. DeNiro and Jacki Weaver are very good as well. But Cooper and Lawrence really are the movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
I saw three movies at the theater today.

Silver Linings Playbook

There is really no reason I should love this movie as much as I do. It seems like it should just be another romantic dramedy, but I guess the difference here is that it is written and directed by David O. Russell, who is always a wild card. He brings the frantic energy he brought to Three Kings (which I've said many times is one of my all time favorite films), and transforms what should be familiar into something that always seems fresh and vital. Bradley Cooper and Jennifer Lawrence are both fantastic, and have terrific chemistry, and how great was it to see DeNiro be good in a good movie again? All of those schlocky rom-com's end with some even that has me asking "Why should I care?". Silver Linings Playbook had me so invested, I couldn't wait to see what happened, and can't remember wanting two people to get together more in recent memory. This is one of my very favorite movies of the year, just a fully pleasurable experience.
I saw it last night, and just have a few things to add. Just before I go into spoilers, the cast around them was great too. De Niro, Chris Tucker only had a few spots in the film, but they were all great. Wonder how he ended up in this movie, because in the last 15 years, he only did the Rush Hour series. Jennifer Lawrence has already moved straight to the front of the line in terms of money actresses. She and Bradley Cooper were excellent, and even more so given the difficult source material. It would have been real easy for it to become a complete mess if the right people weren't involved.

Also, the woman who played the principal was in the same theater I was.

Spoil:
Still thought there was enough tension in the end, as Bradley Cooper never addressed that Jennifer Lawrence wrote the letter, which I thought was obvious as soon as she gave it to him. And I was still in suspense (enough) at the end, because both characters were still crazy enough that it could have went either way. I was kind of hoping to see Jennifer Lawrence lose her **** like she did in the diner, but I guess she was doing that sitting at the bar given her issues.

Eagles fans would love the parallels too And being from Philadelphia, it was cool to see some of the scenery around the stadium. The street where De Niro is dropping him off at the game I've been down and walked through many times, because it's between the Linc and the Wells Fargo Center. If you see it again, in the background before they stop is the site where the Spectrum used to be, but it's before they finished building over it.