View Single Post
Old
11-22-2012, 09:46 AM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
I still maintain that decertification is a lose-lose scenario for the majority on both sides, which is why things won't go that far (and by "that far", I mean a real, permanent decertification, not some cheap negotiating tactic decertification). But from a socio-economic point of view, I'd almost want to see it because it would provide a fascinating real-life "experiment" of sorts, a free-market counterpoint to the current CBA-based economic systems that are prevalent in professional sports.
Things have already gone to the point the players have only two viable options, capitulation or decertification, should they want to get back to work.

The NHL, like other major professional sports, had/has no intention of bargaining in good faith. Professional sports unions are only aiding the owners, making it legal to violate antitrust laws and other labour laws by having a CBA.

FYI decertification of a union isn't some cheap negotiating tactic, it has become the only option players have to counter the lockout card played by ownership.

I agree with you regarding wanting the players to decertify.

Let the players file antitrust suits and as their cases are ajudicated the lockout would be ruled illegal, owners would be forced to honor existing contracts, there would be no allowable salary cap, nor restrictions on player movement.

One might also consider the draft would be consider a violation of existing labour law in many jurisdications . This would mean teams would have to recruit players with no restrictions on entry level salaries.

These are but a few reasons ownership of the NFL and NBA settle quickly facing the prospects of decertification.

Holdurbreathe is online now   Reply With Quote