View Single Post
Old
11-22-2012, 12:07 PM
newfy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
How is he being over-hyped? The consensus upside from leaf fans seems to be a Letang/Keith type player, I don't think that's too unrealistic of an upside projection all things considered? Is that too much hype from Leaf fans? What exactly did Bobby Mac say that would mean he's bought into the hype?
Some fans were offended at people suggesting hes comparable to Brian Campbell who is a number 1 dman that puts up around 50 points a year and isnt a defensive liability..
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
If some Leafs fans were over hyping Rielly how is that any different then the Bruins fans who call Dougie Hamilton a future franchise Defensman and possible Norris Trohpy winner. Forgetting about the fact that Hamilton was selected in 2011 and Rielly was selected in 2012, shouldn't we judge either of them until we can see what they can do at the NHL level?
Difference is, Hamilton was the top OHL dman last year and absolutely tore the league up before Hamilton got the hype. Rielly was "better" than Murray after the summer series against Russia, after hes played about 40 junior games. Sample size is the difference.

And I know Rielly has number 1 offensive dman upside, but hes not exactly setting the world on fire this year offensively. I know his team is bad and everything but 21 points in 24 games doesnt deserve the hype of 72 points in 50 games and a good world junior last year.

Not all leaf fans are overhyping but if the only comparables that youre willing to accept are guys like Keith a norris winner and Letang one of the top young D in the league, youre setting expectation way too high and need to tone it down a bit