View Single Post
Old
11-22-2012, 11:37 AM
vadim sharifijanov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Some say Bernie Ferdoko of the blues should not be i Hall but he was the face of the blues for over a decade.Alfie is the face of Senators and will be in hall at some point.Questions are many should Steve Shutt or Clark Gillies be in hall.Being in the Hall is more than stats.Scotty Bowman has Steve Yzerman at number 25 in his sellection of the top players.I think Scotty knows more about players than all of us combined
good comparison. another guy who mostly peaked as a fringe top ten scorer, but whose regular season scoring was remarkably consistent (i'm talking federko here).

the difference is that federko has more top tens in points (five to alfredsson's three), and seven top tens in assists. more important, federko led generally weaker teams to generally greater playoff success. he pulled a "forsberg" in '86 when he led the playoffs in scoring (tied with gilmour) without even making it out of the third round.

i don't think alfredsson is as bad a playoff performer as he had been considered pre-'07. but i also don't think he was federko calibre, at least not outside of his one big year. i don't want to say federko played on bad teams, because those blues were solid playoff teams and had some good players (peak liut, brian sutter, mullen, young gilmour, ramage, but not all at the same time), but i think we can probably say that alfredsson's weirdly late peak of the '06 and '07 seasons was somewhat affected by playing on a line with peak dany heatley (back to back 50 goal seasons) and spezza hitting his stride (the degree to which it was affected is probably the important question here). and without that blip alfredsson's regular season peak probably looks identical to federko's, and his playoff peak is solidly behind.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote