View Single Post
Old
11-22-2012, 12:54 PM
CheerstoBeers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemQ View Post
There is a difference between saying your trying to overcome something and actually doing something about it. I"ll give you an example: last year, i watched Gallant play 10-12 times (i'm a Q scout). The only games he played to his talent was the games at the monctonnian last year, especially at the prospect game. All other games, he was completely uninspired. No drive, did not assert himself, etc..etc. When he had the puck on his stick, he worked, when he didnt - he was a ghost.

Fast forward to this year. I've seen him play with Bathurst, and i've seen him play midget. Beginning of camp he was out of shape. Kids make mistakes, etc..etc, But, what does that say about a kid who was expected to be drafted in the first round and gets drafted in the 4th, and then shows up at camp in horrible shape!!!! I would have expected he wanted to prove people wrong and be in the shape of his life and make teams regret not choosing him sooner in the draft.
Since he's been at midget, i've seen him 5 times. 3 at the monctonnian and two other games. Monctonnian were good games.....the two other games where awful. completely uninspired performances. Had i not known who he was, i would not have even noticed him.
He leaves you with the impression that there is so much more to him than what he shows. But, you can't reward someone completely on what they "could be", at a certain point, he has to play up to his talents. Again...in a 10-14 day tournament, coaches dont have time to deal with egos and attitudes. in the past 10-12months, he has played it up to a certain level depending who is in the stands. If that is what he is labelled, i can tell you that he has written that label himself. Only he can create a new label for himself. Is that what you want on a team. He has done this as recently as last weekend....so...it's up to him to show people he has changed and he has to play every games with passion and desire.

I do agree however, 100% with you on Blanchard. That omission is troubling...he's better than 4-5 of those forwards that made the team.
From all reports i've heard is that Gallant has overcome everything very well. Most of his trouble came from a devastating injury, people forget this. He had a broken leg and wasn't on skates til late August. He didn't play in Bathurst much and was still working to get back into shape as he was when he returned to midget. He didn't get to 4th in league scoring in his last half dozen games by playing uninspired lazy hockey. Maybe it was too little too late but right now he is back looking like the player he was when he was predicted to go high first round in the Q draft. IMO to get left off this team as well as Blanchard is troubling.. I was talking to his coach last week who told me he's been exceptional lately and apparently has been getting calls from Bathurst on availability. I was told he would have played their last game in PEI if it wasn't for the Monctonian. There is way too much hearsay when it comes to 15 and 16 year old kids on these boards.

CheerstoBeers is offline   Reply With Quote