View Single Post
Old
11-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Ryker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
We should maybe talk specifics, Ryker. The situation may vary from club to club. As you know, there's the distinction between a "base package" of TV channels, and "premium TV channels". When you talk about, say, Saturday's Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts, Don Cherry et al, those kind of games are broadcast on regular "base package" TV channels, right? It's certainly proper to call that "hockey for free", because you would have subscribed to the "base package" anyway, right? Otherwise, why own a TV set?
I don't own a TV set and don't pay for the base package specifically for that reason, i.e. it not being free. And it's not just here. I'm a Flyers fan, and I've seen on our boards that some people have cancelled their subscription to the Comcast Network that broadcasts Flyers games due to the lockout. I don't know what the monthly fee is, but looking at their website it seems to be around $30. So it's not free, even though it's not called "premium", and some people do get subscriptions just for the hockey. Oh, and if you're watching HNIC or THN, you don't get even close to seeing all or most of your team's games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
And now take Slovakia, a country with significantly lower average incomes compared to the US and Canada, and none of Slovan's games in the KHL are available on a "base package" TV channel. It's either premium channel or premium TV package, and even after you buy that, some Slovan games aren't broadcast at all.
I can see why you're not happy with that, obviously, but there's not much you can do about it. And it's pointless comparing the living standards, because that's just how it is. Having said that, I don't fault you at all for watching free streams online, but you mentioned you'd have to pay 37 euros for all Slovan games if you got it on khl.ru, right? I don't know about you, but that sounds pretty cheap to me, and definitely cheaper than having to get a TV package just to see the games.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote