View Single Post
Old
11-22-2012, 02:40 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
good comparison. another guy who mostly peaked as a fringe top ten scorer, but whose regular season scoring was remarkably consistent (i'm talking federko here).

the difference is that federko has more top tens in points (five to alfredsson's three), and seven top tens in assists. more important, federko led generally weaker teams to generally greater playoff success. he pulled a "forsberg" in '86 when he led the playoffs in scoring (tied with gilmour) without even making it out of the third round.

i don't think alfredsson is as bad a playoff performer as he had been considered pre-'07. but i also don't think he was federko calibre, at least not outside of his one big year. i don't want to say federko played on bad teams, because those blues were solid playoff teams and had some good players (peak liut, brian sutter, mullen, young gilmour, ramage, but not all at the same time), but i think we can probably say that alfredsson's weirdly late peak of the '06 and '07 seasons was somewhat affected by playing on a line with peak dany heatley (back to back 50 goal seasons) and spezza hitting his stride (the degree to which it was affected is probably the important question here). and without that blip alfredsson's regular season peak probably looks identical to federko's, and his playoff peak is solidly behind.
a few things about this:

1) Federko's a center,and centers are going to naturally get more points. Comparing them to wingers isn't 100% fair.

2) talking about Federko's assist finishes in addition to his points finishes is just double dipping, and glosses over his rather unimpressive goal scoring.

3) in points finishes, he doesn't do any better than Alfie: 8, 9, 9, 9, 11, 12, 21, 21, 25, 47. His 4th, 5th, and 6th seasons look better there, and his best season looks worse. The rest is splitting hairs. In "percentage of #2", he is behind Alfredsson by about 4-5%.

4) in the playoffs, obviously having a 35% better PPG average looks nicer, but scoring in the playoffs from 1978-1989 was 38% higher than in 1997-2012, so it's really not as nice as it looks. Also, 90 playoff games isn't a hell of a lot when it's the 1980s and 16 of 21 teams make the playoffs, particularly in the norris division, where the Leafs and Stars took turns bending over for the other four. Starting in 1984, The Blues were guaranteed a playoff spot, and a series against a very bad team (69, 62, 69, 70, 70 points).

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote