Thread: AAA 2012 Draft
View Single Post
Old
11-22-2012, 02:55 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
The thing about Cechmanek, is that if you look at his resume on paper - the Czech league awards (something that Mike Farkas valued Jiri Dopita highly for), the save percentages and the award voting - both Vezina and Hart - that he should have been taken a long time before this.

But we saw him, and I think we all agreed to one extent or another, that he wasn't as good as that on-paper resume suggested. And that's why he's going now instead of in the MLD.

I hated him. Thought he was a funny looking jerk (said playing my Leafs was boring, the truth hurt), thought his team made him look better than he was, laughed at his weak goals, reveled in his failures. Called him Chokemanek.

But here's the thing. He was so obviously and significantly better than Philly's other goalies from 2001 to 2003, outperforming their personal numbers (and, if you want to say sv% doesn't prove anything, team numbers too) drastically in that time. He blew them away. And these weren't scrub goalies. In an all-time sense they've proven to be afterthoughts, yes, but they were good enough to take a team to within a goal of a Stanley Cup final twice, and another time within a goal of game 7 of the finals, between 2000 and 2010. And Cechmanek was obviously and significantly better than them.

I know from watching him that we can all agree that the numbers lied to us. But the degree to which Mike is claiming they are lying, is just highly implausible. As fun as it is to read his takes on players, in the case of Cechmanek his words are both hyperbolic and partial (partisan?). Makes it sound like Philly happened to have "the three worst goalies of all-time" from 2001 to 2003.

Last edited by seventieslord: 11-22-2012 at 03:17 PM.
seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote