View Single Post
Old
11-22-2012, 04:36 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
I don't know what the "consensus" is. However, I do find it hard to believe that a forward who hasn't won a Ross, Hart or Pearson since '07 should be the "consensus" best player since then. Especially since competition has won these awards since that season.
Winning awards =/= being the best player

The fact that Crosby has been injured a lot isn't news to anyone. That, however, doesn't really have any bearing on whether he is better than Player X or Y. Trophies are almost always based on complete or near-complete seasons, so they in turn don't have any bearing on who is the best player.

In other words, Jose Theodore wasn't the best hockey player in the world in 2002 no matter what the awards voting said.

Quote:
It seems to be built mostly on perpetual expectations that he will separate himself from the pack.
Look at his PPG instead of raw totals... he has pretty clearly separated from the pack for quite some time now.

Quote:
I can't think of another example in recent decades of a player being credited as the "consensus" best forward for that long, when he was never the "consensus" best forward for even one season during that time.
You don't have to go back very far to remember the period from 2000-2004 when Lemieux and Forsberg were clearly separated from the pack in talent but never had the "best season" due to injuries.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote