View Single Post
Old
11-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
I don't know what the "consensus" is. However, I do find it hard to believe that a forward who hasn't won a Ross, Hart or Pearson since '07 should be the "consensus" best player since then. Especially since competition has won these awards since that season. It seems to be built mostly on perpetual expectations that he will separate himself from the pack. He missed over 1/3 of the '08 season... had a very good '09, but still finished behind Malkin & Ovechkin in points... improved his goal scoring to have an outstanding '10 season, but Ovechkin still tied him in points in fewer games... then he seemed to finally separate himself in the first half of '11, when Malkin was hurt and Ovechkin had declined, but then he got the concussion and hasn't been mostly MIA since. So the case for him being the best player, over the past several seasons, seems to mostly be based on 1-1.5 seasons in '10 & '11... but he hasn't even been clearly the most valuable player for an entire season during that stretch. I can't think of another example in recent decades of a player being credited as the "consensus" best forward for that long, when he was never the "consensus" best forward for even one season during that time.
I understand your point here but we can say that Sid is the best player when healthy then for that stretch that tarheelhockey has pointed out.

Also Sid s start to the 11 season is the best 41 game stretch where we have seen any player dominate since two guys named Wayne and Mario were around.

Like I said before Trotts wins their 12st 7 years but it's really close and if Sid were healthy he would be ahead handily for those 7 years to compare.

As for the overall question Sid is the better player.

Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote