Top 5 Draft list for the flames
View Single Post
11-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Join Date: Nov 2011
Originally Posted by
1. Nathan MacKinnon - He would be a perfect complement to Baertschi's game. The scorer for the playmaker. If you have the first pick, you don't pass up the franchise centre that this team has needed for 20 years. The best skater in the draft, strong lower body, a player the opposition hates to play against. Right now, if the Flames had the first pick, MacKinnon is the easy choice and I'd feel no regret.
2. Seth Jones - Obviously the top defender in the draft and the closest competition to MacKinnon. He's dominant, no doubt, but there always seems to be a risk in taking a defenceman first overall. He's shown that he has the potential to be a top defenceman in the NHL, but will he end up as a Chris Pronger type, or closer to somebody like Bouwmeester? Both are good players, but one I wouldn't use a top 2 pick on one...
3. Sasha Barkov - May have the easiest transition to the NHL of all draft eligible players. He's a man amongst men in the Finnish league. Gritty and willing to go to the dirty areas, and still developing. He seems to be a lock to be at least a 60 point player, but I think he lacks some of the skills the other players in the top 5 have, which may limit his overall upside.
4. Sean Monahan - Maybe the best two-way centre in the draft. Putting up great numbers on a mediocre team, he can do everything the coach asks of him. Hard to pass up when you are getting compared to Toews, though he may never be an offensive juggernaut.
5. Elias Lindholm - I'll admit I don't know much about Lindholm, so I'm just basing this ranking around what I've read about him. Another centre in an unbelievably centre-deep draft. Though, after Erixon, I'm a little reluctant to draft Swedes.
And even though only the top 5 was asked for, I'll do one more.
6 Jonathan Drouin - He's been called the best passer in the draft, the player with the best vision and IQ. Hard to pass that up, but I think if this franchise gets a top 5 pick, it has to be used on the 4 centres or the defenceman I've listed above. We have Sven slotted on the left wing already, and while he's far from a lock to be a top 2 winger, we need the most help at centre and defence. I would never be disappointed if we ended up with Drouin of course, but I think the 5 players I've listed above him will be more valuable pieces.
What a draft this is becoming. It's unfortunate that we'll probably be picking after 25.
Not sure if serious?
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by TheHudlinator