View Single Post
Old
11-22-2012, 07:28 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprootsMasterFlex View Post
Good point. I guess only time will tell but if ask some people on the prospects board, their opinion may differ. Not implying that you are but I would assume that some of us on the Pens Board may subconsciously be biased with our prospects. I tend to do that sometimes (once again, not saying that you are, just generalizing).

I absolutely think that a lot of Pens fans (including those on this board) have a major bias towards some of our prospects. In particular, I think Despres and Morrow have both been overrated considerably.

A lot of people complain that we draft so many Dmen, at the expense of forwards or, IMO, goalies (would have loved to see them draft Subban with their 2nd pick). That said, I truly believe that part of the reason we have drafted and traded for (Dumoulin, Ruopp) so many Dmen is because, while we have a large quantity of them, many of them are not "sure things", and it seems to a degree like the Pens are just playing a numbers game -- drafting a lot of Dmen with the mindset that if they draft enough Dmen, then at least some of them will turn into really good NHLers.

I think if the Pens really had an elite blue-chip Dman or two in the system, they may feel confident enough that they have that position covered, and then concentrate their draft efforts more on forwards. As much as I like the group of Dmen that includes Despres, Morrow, Strait, Bortuzzo, Harrington, Poulot, Maatta and others, I do not see any legitimate #1 Dman in this entire organization outside of Letang. I sincerely hope that one or two of these guys can develop into that, but at this point, none of those guys are in that category -- and I would desperately like to see one in our organization, which is why I won't care if we take another Dman in the first round next year, if he has that type of upside potential.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote