View Single Post
Old
11-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Hockey Outsider

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
The knock I have on him is that while his playoff career looks average (at best) on the surface the truth is his production got worse as the playoffs wore on. Look it up. Plus if there is one team that probably should have won a Cup in the 2000s it's Ottawa. It is very arguable that a strong playoff performance by Alfredsson gives them the Cup at least once. Other than 2007, Alfredsson was not a good playoff performer and I think we tend to gloss over this.
Alfredsson scored 0.35 gpg, 0.42 apg and 0.77 ppg in 66 first-round playoff games. He scored 0.53 gpg, 0.33 apg and 0.87 ppg in 45 playoff games outside of the first round - a 12% improvement.

He was brutal in the third round (0.58 ppg) and outstanding in the Stanley Cup finals (1.00 ppg) though in both cases we're looking at absurdly small sample sizes (twleve and five games respectively). Still, on an overall basis, he played better past the first round.

I agree that Alfredsson wasn't a great playoff performer, but he wasn't terrible - he was a bit worse than one would have expected for a player of his calibre.

Hockey Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote