View Single Post
Old
11-22-2012, 09:42 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
There is just overwhelming evidence that Phil's huge peak in Boston relies alot on Bobby Orr and that he might have been a very good player but not the superstar that he looks like with the Bobby Orr affect.
While I agree, I also think that Esposito's stats from his Ranger years do a bit of a disservice to how good he still was during his captaincy there. That was just a horrible stretch roster-wise for the Rangers, and it must have been quite a change adjusting from having so much puck control from the back end to playing on a team with lackluster (being kind) talent on defense to support and make the best of a talent like Espo. Arbitrary random stat time, but I bet over 99% of hockey fans would have significant difficulty thinking of two Rangers defensemen from the late 70s (first guess probably Park, who left during '75/76), let alone a "good" one. And there must have been a certain level of frustration playing on a team that basically rotates four+ goalies steadily for 3 or 4 seasons, lol.

We also have to be honest and say that his international resume positively contributes to his case, and those are post-Orr days as well.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote