View Single Post
Old
11-22-2012, 10:22 PM
DisgruntledGoat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewell68 View Post
There is no way Esposito, Roy, Potvin, Sawchuk, Messier or Lafleur should be ahead of Jagr.
Well, a good case can be made for any of them.

Espo and Lafleur don't give up anything in terms of offensive dominance, so I don't see how there's 'no way' they could be ahead of Jagr.

Roy and Sawchuk are widely considered the top goalies ever. Their peaks and longevity, while different due to positions, are right there with anything Jagr did.

Potvin and Messier were dominant all-around players who contributed hugely to winning teams, piled up points, and had tremendous longevity. Jagr can't touch their three-zone games.

Personally, I'd have all of them ahead of 68, and Jagr wouldn't get a sniff at my top ten (neither would Bourque or Hasek). Too inconsistent, and quit too easily. Hey, still one of the greatest talents ever but if we're talking top ten all-time, should a guy that three teams let go (in his prime) for next-to-nothing and felt either indifferent (Pittsburgh, New York) or elated (Washington) about it really belong in that conversation? IMO. . . no.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote