View Single Post
Old
11-23-2012, 12:00 AM
TAnnala

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
I don't know what the "consensus" is. However, I do find it hard to believe that a forward who hasn't won a Ross, Hart or Pearson since '07 should be the "consensus" best player since then. Especially since competition has won these awards since that season. It seems to be built mostly on perpetual expectations that he will separate himself from the pack. He missed over 1/3 of the '08 season... had a very good '09, but still finished behind Malkin & Ovechkin in points... improved his goal scoring to have an outstanding '10 season, but Ovechkin still tied him in points in fewer games... then he seemed to finally separate himself in the first half of '11, when Malkin was hurt and Ovechkin had declined, but then he got the concussion and hasn't been mostly MIA since. So the case for him being the best player, over the past several seasons, seems to mostly be based on 1-1.5 seasons in '10 & '11... but he hasn't even been clearly the most valuable player for an entire season during that stretch. I can't think of another example in recent decades of a player being credited as the "consensus" best forward for that long, when he was never the "consensus" best forward for even one season during that time.
I agree with this post.

Crosby has been "right up there!" at the top spot with Malkin/Ovechkin for the past years. He has showed flashes of brilliance and is obviously able to put up tremendous points. Not just sure how good that will work season in season out kind of situation. Crosby gets too much reckoning as a best player without even playing. (I just wait till someone comes and shows me Crosbys last 82 games points.)

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote