View Single Post
Old
11-23-2012, 05:12 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
I understand your point here but we can say that Sid is the best player when healthy then for that stretch that tarheelhockey has pointed out.
Best player when healthy for maybe 2-3 seasons is much different than "consensus" best (and most valuable) player for 6+ seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Also Sid s start to the 11 season is the best 41 game stretch where we have seen any player dominate since two guys named Wayne and Mario were around.
I don't agree with that at all:

Best "half seasons"

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
I view "best player" status to be a sort of interim title at the moment. Crosby doesn't have it right this second, but he's the last guy to have it, and if he comes back to form in the next season, he's going to keep it.
I haven't really followed boxing for many, many years, but this sort of reminds me of decades ago... when there were 2 or 3 "titles" for each class (not sure if more or less today), given by various organizing bodies of dubious distinction. Then some guy wouldn't defend his title and it would be vacated, so they would have to figure out some system to reinstate the title. That's basically how I see Crosby's situation: he was in the mix, but the top contenders traded blows and beat each other up... then he was awarded the title of "best player" by at least one faction, based mostly on his 2010 (last 1/2-2/3 of '10 and first half of '11)... then he couldn't stay healthy the rest of '11 and most of '12, so basically vacated the title... and now there's not even any matches, but there's supposedly this "consensus" that he's been the best player in hockey for 6, going on 7 years... and that seems like quite a revisionist history from my perspective. I might agree with "as good as anyone when healthy" for the past 2-3 seasons, but that's about the max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Also, on the subject of getting Sid off his game, the Habs did just as good if not a better job of it in 2010 than Giroux and co did last season. At least he was still scoring a bunch against Philly (even though that series was some of the most one-dimensional hockey I've seen the guy play in years)
He had pretty goals right off the bat in a couple games... then he basically seemed to disappear, except for a nice deflection for a goal. Other than that, the only time I noticed him was when he was acting like a complete d-bag... talking sorta tough, but not walking the walk. Is slashing the opponents wrists in the face-off circle and knocking away someone's gloves the best he can do? Is that really the best move for a guy who's a concussion away from possibly ending his career?

Last edited by Fugu: 11-23-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: ...
Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote