View Single Post
Old
11-23-2012, 09:50 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota Rangers View Post
Him either signing with NJ or retiring is pretty much guaranteed, and Lou would probably match any reasonable offer.
I can't see him officially retiring, but if either the lockout extends even further into the winter or the Devils don't re-sign him when a new CBA is reached (or a combination of both)... he'll most likely ride out whatever he has left him in somewhere in Europe.

If he starts playing in Europe now, he doesn't have a guaranteed way to get back to the NHL if/when the season starts back up. And he'd be a longshot to make any team at the start of the '13-'14 season.

He's got a lot riding on this lockout, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri the Fury View Post
Main problem with Sykie is that he's a pretty ineffective bottom 6 player and Elias is doomed to be constantly paired with him. I think he won't come back. Butler was signed to take his place, in my opinion.

I don't subscribe to the notion that Sykora needs Elias or can't play bottom 6.
He does need the perfect combination of linemates, though.

Him & Elias have incredible chemistry, even at this stage. But Sykora needs some combination of a sturdy 2-way player and playmaker to make him effective. Any of Elias, Zajac or Josefson would be fine paired with him.

Playing with any of those guys also means handing Sykora minutes that he's unable to sustain over 82 games + playoffs, though.

The more I think about it, the more I think Sykora would be the perfect quick-fix to the lineup for a shortened season (should we get one).

manilaNJ is online now   Reply With Quote