View Single Post
Old
11-23-2012, 10:17 AM
HabsByTheBay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
The biggest difference for me is the number of times goalies actually had to catch pucks back in the day. Nowadays it seems as though goalies go down, make themselves big, and lose most pucks in their protective bulk. Don't have to actually catch the puck, and don't have to worry about steering/clearing rebounds. Quite a luxury for modern goalies, especially given that the speed, skill and athleticism of today's skaters should make rebounds in the slot more dangerous scoring opportunities yet they're almost non-existent thanks to the gear.

Surely there are materials today that can protect goalies from impact without going to the extreme that 90+ mph shots actually get trapped "unintentionally" in the bulk.
When I play I can't get my trapper open, my hand isn't strong enough. I basically just flap at the puck/ball (play mostly ball) and use it like a blocker.

And I used to be a catcher and a 1st baseman so it's not like I'm not used to holding open a big mitt and catching objects coming at me at high speeds.

Equipment today is more high tech than ever before yet plenty of goalies in the 80s caught hard slappers without injury while wearing gear half the size. There's no excuse, gear should be the same size it was then.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote