View Single Post
Old
11-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Wanna add, I don't have a problem with Slater, he is an OK 3rd liner and a solid #4C.

It is just that I don't really understand why a team in the Jets position wants to fill a sheltered 4th line roster spot with a (relatively) high price veteran. The Jets aren't going to win the cup this year and developing a Patrice Cormier in the NHL does have value.

I would better understand the need for veteran depth in that role if the Jets were a contender.
Agreed with Guerzy, there is more to it than being a Stanley Cup contender, there are levels to build. You don't go from pushover to contender in a day, every single team that has won a cup in the past 7 years has followed the exact same progression. Rebuilding, playoff pushover, playoff contender, Stanley Cup Champion. We need to get to the playoff pushover state, and veteran like Slater is key to that compared to a rookie like Cormier, he adds leadership, poise, and depth, IMO.

I also think Slater can be the face of shutdown line. I am hoping that the Jets with increased depth move to a rolling 4 line team, with the 4th line anchored by Slater taking the tough shutdown minutes, while the top 3 lines are even spread out rolling scoring lines. He really needs improved wingers, Thorburn and Glass/Miettinen is not good enough. We need some defensive minded wingers to add onto the sides for him on the 4th line. Cormier might be an option at LW actually.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote