View Single Post
Old
11-23-2012, 11:45 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech Your Math View Post
I haven't really followed boxing for many, many years, but this sort of reminds me of decades ago... when there were 2 or 3 "titles" for each class (not sure if more or less today), given by various organizing bodies of dubious distinction. Then some guy wouldn't defend his title and it would be vacated, so they would have to figure out some system to reinstate the title. That's basically how I see Crosby's situation: he was in the mix, but the top contenders traded blows and beat each other up... then he was awarded the title of "best player" by at least one faction, based mostly on his 2010 (last 1/2-2/3 of '10 and first half of '11)... then he couldn't stay healthy the rest of '11 and most of '12, so basically vacated the title... and now there's not even any matches, but there's supposedly this "consensus" that he's been the best player in hockey for 6, going on 7 years... and that seems like quite a revisionist history from my perspective. I might agree with "as good as anyone when healthy" for the past 2-3 seasons, but that's about the max.
I was thinking specifically of what happened in the UFC with GSP, Matt Serra and the Welterweight title a few years back. GSP had the belt initially but lost it to Serra, who then suffered an injury before their rematch. As a result, GSP fought Matt Hughes for the interim title with the winner going against Serra for the distinction of Undisputed Champion.

/For the MMA buffs, I'm not comparing Sid to Serra, I just wanted to illustrate how UFC's interim mechanics are similar here. Whoever has "best player" status now, is still going to have to deal with the looming spectre of Sid's 2011 in the same way GSP still had to go through Serra.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote