Old
11-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greschner4 View Post
I know it's part of the script, but that isn't going to scare anyone.

Agreed. As some of us noted, you don't go into the lockout if you're going to cave after a significant portion of the season has been lost.

I want to believe that PA understands (and certainly Fehr does) that this is a bigger war than just the usual division of the pie. It's about finding a counter to lockouts. It's a magnificent tool for owners, using the unions against the players to greatly benefit their own position.

The earlier article I linked to made another interesting observation about the nature of unions vs their role in professional sports. In the rest of the world, unions extract a higher than market value wage for their constituents. In pro sports leagues, the union does the opposite and allows salaries to be repressed through artificial restraints like caps, the draft, and free agency limits.

Either owners have to give enough back to players to enjoy their ability to ignore anti-trust behavior, or the only remaining option for PAs is to dissolve and find another vehicle for communicating with peers.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote