View Single Post
Old
11-23-2012, 01:30 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Is it a huge problem if he did? Faulk was very impressive.
Not a HUGE problem, but a problem.

Both are offensively-oriented defensemen, but one relied heavily on the PP for the ever-important attention-grabbing "hockey card stats" and the other didn't. (overall play aside, we both know that the "hockey card stats" - GP, G, A, Pts, +/- - are important to voters - more than they should be.

Gardiner scored 23 points at ES... 6 more than any other rookie D-man. And watching him it wasn't hard to see why. He had an outstanding season from a transtition and possession standpoint. He carried the puck like no Leaf defenseman had regularly in a decade, save Kaberle.

Faulk was likely the best PP defenseman, with 12 points when no one else had more than 7, but that represents only about 10% of the time these two players spent on the ice. Faulk's 10 ESP don't stand out from the pack at all, nor do they indicate strong puckmoving. I can't vouch for his overall play at ES, but I find it hard to believe that he carried the puck like Gardiner, just based off what I saw of Gardiner and the enormous 23-10 ESP gap.

I will say that along with Gardiner, Scandella and Larsson, he was one of just 4 defensemen who deserved consideration at all. Lower GP totals and sub-19 minute TOI averages preclude anyone else from entering the conversation.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote