View Single Post
Old
11-23-2012, 01:37 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerbullet View Post
I would say the main problem is that we can say any of them could be the best player post-lockout. Not none of these guys as you phrased the problem.
I'm not sure that any argument could effectively support Ovechkin as the best player of the era. He's had some of the best seasons, but he's clearly taken a step back (and not due to missing GP) and even at his peak, he wasn't as complete as Crosby. Though to his credit, he was a bigger physical presence than Trottier's otherwise-comparable teammate Bossy.

I think we all have an idea of where we rank Crosby generationally, and it's doubtful any minds will be changed on that topic here. Let's get back to the comment that touched off this tangent, which was that Crosby has been a bigger player in his generation than Trottier.

Crosby's best competition
Malkin
Ovechkin
Datsyuk
Thornton
Stamkos

Trottier's best competition
Lafleur
Bossy
Dionne
Gretzky
Anyone else in this category?

Obviously we can scratch Gretzky off the list as the best player of either era. Looking at what's left over, we have some parallels in Bossy/Ovechkin and Dionne/Thornton, and in both cases I'd say the modern players are probably better overall (unless you believe scoring points is the be-all).

Then we have Malkin, Datsyuk, and Stamkos as modern MVP contenders, one of whom is really a statistical pretender. Trottier had Lafleur.

So after all of that whittling, it comes down to a core question -- how does Trottier's relationship with Lafleur compare to Crosby's relationship with Malkin and Datsyuk?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote