Thread: Prospect Info: Morgan Rielly discussion thread.
View Single Post
Old
11-23-2012, 03:23 PM
hockeywiz542

vCash: 500
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...n_rielly_pick/

Quote:
I sampled a few scouts this week and asked them a couple of questions:

1. Could Reilly have been on top of a team's list?

2. If there were a do-over of the draft, would Rielly move up based on his play this season and what seems to be a strong comeback from his ACL patch-up?

There seemed to be a split on question No. 1.

Said one Western Conference scout:

"I'd say Rielly might have been (the overall No. 1) for an organization based on what he had done before. I liked him more than Ryan Murray (the Everett defenceman who went No. 2 overall to Columbus). He has more upside, more play-making offensive ability. Murray will be a good player but the creative part of the game, that's Rielly's strength. Murray would be the sound defensive player who would allow a player like Rielly or Ryan Murphy to go do his thing. And I see Rielly as a better risk-reward bet than Murphy -- the upside with Rielly might be higher and there's less risk of him not being able to help you. I'd say No. 1 overall (for Rielly) is defensible."

Another Western Conference scout who had Rielly further down his list last June said: "I liked him but I would have had trouble taking him at No. 5, never mind No. 1."

I heard more of the skepticism about Burke's claimed ranking of Rielly rather than support, but if it's plausible to any other organization then it was plausible, period.

On question No. 2 there was something close to the consensus.

One representative scouting report from a western regional scout went as follows:

"(Rielly) has been really strong. He was great in the (Subway) series against the Russians and he's better and better as the season goes on. He's a great skater, right at the top of his class, and you get a sense that he's not 100 per cent back. That's going to take a full season. A lockout doesn't hurt him at all. The fact that he can play at this level as he builds the leg strength back up is better than trying to do it (in the NHL). Based on what he's done so far this season, I'd have him ahead of Murray. Significantly. If he was the Leafs' No. 1 overall on their list, I'd say congratulations, that's a good pick."

hockeywiz542 is offline   Reply With Quote