View Single Post
Old
11-23-2012, 09:14 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rey72335 View Post
To me, MacKinnon tries to do a bit too much with the puck.. almost like Marchand did when he played here. Granted, Nate is already a better player than Brad is, but still.. he seems too showey for my liking. Many disagree, but I stand by my opinion.
Totally valid observation and opinion, first off. But realize, this is the level where these guys get to test their limits with a bit of risky play before scrutiny and the weight of 100s of millions of dollars affects their in-game decision-making. Nate does go for a lot of 1-on-1 plays when maybe he doesn't have to, but even his unsuccessful attempts usually result in some kind of scramble or chaos (definitely pucks deep in the opponent end at the very least), because he is just that strong/good at fighting for the puck. If you watch him enough, you see that most of the time he just takes the open ice that opponents give him, and it's up to who can keep up through the neutral zone. If he's left in an isolated 1-on-1, he goes straight at the net almost every time, and I can't blame him.

I mean, it's not like he also isn't one of the best set-up men on the team. That tic-tac-toe play from Drouin to him to Frk was just classic MacKinnon split-second, puck on the stick - off the stick in a split second, right on the tape, no-look set up. Good set up on the earlier Fournier goal, too. Basically, when you see how many times he successfully dissects the defense to set up goals for teammates, it's hard to rag on him for going "outside the box" on a few 1-on-1s.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 11-23-2012 at 10:29 PM.