View Single Post
Old
11-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Elever
Hth

vCash: 500
I absolutely hate looking at stats in detail for these arguments. It's more about a feeling...do you feel that Dave Andrechyuk was a prestigious star for any number of years for example? I'm very relaxed when it comes to HOF criteria and I'd probably induct 15-20 players right now but even I wouldn't induct Andrechyuk because the guy was never elite. He was just someone who kept putting up good numbers consistently, that to me doesn't scream "fame" and it's not like he was a perennial winner (I don't buy the you need to win trophies or cups argument but it does help you become famous and he only won one cup I think where he had a role but wasn't the main go-to guy). I really don't think the HOF committee is gonna use detailed detailed stats to determine who gets in when comparing two guys, I'd guess they each go on personal bias shaped by who they felt was a true star and somewhat on stats.

This is the same reason why Iginla will get in even if he never wins a cup, guy's been considered one of the best fwds in the best fwds in the for several years (decline now I guess). Thornton's stock has gone down of course lately but he's done enough in the past assuming they look past playoff performances that he'd get a serious look due to being one of the league's best fwds for a decent length of time before. He'd probably be considered similar to an Adam Oates type, probably not first ballot.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote