View Single Post
Old
11-23-2012, 09:36 PM
double5son10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Defense and depth were Colorado's achilles-heals.

Detroit and NJ had loaded bluelines. Ozolinsh was a high-risk, high-reward guy but ultimately, the risk took over and he was shipped out. He never developed an all-round game like Sergei Zubov did. And while Foote was an excellent shut-down guy, I don't think he was quite as dominant as Derian Hatcher. Colorado didn't really "fix" their defense until they brought Bourque and Blake in, and by then Sakic and Roy were aging and Forsberg was injury-prone.

Depth was also a major problem for Colorado moving forward - they had a ton of depth from the Lindros trade, but they traded it away at deadline deal after deadline deal. (and to be fair, the deals for Bourque and Blake paid off). But when Colorado won in 2001, they were the first top-heavy team to win the Cup since I don't know when, the 1992 Penguins?

I also don't think Colorado had the coaching of the other teams, at least not Detroit and Dallas, who had Bowman and Hitchcock.
Those trades with Calgary killed them long term. They lost each one of them. Fleury cost them a top four defenseman in Regehr, a serviceable third liner in Corbet, and a half-decent tough guy in Belak. Then they tried to make up for the loss of Regehr by trading for Derek Morris, but that cost them a clutch-scorer and leader in Drury and a top notch 4th line center/penalty killer in Yelle (Shantz was worthless, and Yelle>McAmmond). At least trading Morris away netted them the pick that became Statsny. Then they followed that up trading Tanguay away for Jordan Leopold, who they then managed to turn into spare parts. Absolutely murdered in that trio of trades.

double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote